Dental Cleaning and Exams in Canton, OH
At Said Dental, we are committed to providing our patients with the highest quality dental care. We offer comprehensive dental exams and cleanings in Canton, OH, to help keep your smile healthy and bright. Dr. Said will thoroughly examine your mouth for any signs of tooth decay, gum disease, or other oral health concerns during your dental exam. We will also clean your teeth and remove any plaque or tartar buildup. Our goal is to help you maintain a healthy smile that you can be proud of!
There are many ways you can play an active role in maintaining your oral health. Having your teeth cleaned in our office every six months is an excellent place to start. Our hygienists and dentists identify plaque and problem areas before thoroughly cleaning your teeth, providing you with information to sustain a happy, healthy smile.
If you are due for a dental cleaning or exam, we invite you to contact our office today to schedule an appointment. We look forward to meeting you and helping you achieve optimal oral health!
Importance of Dental Cleanings and Dental Exams
Most people know the importance of brushing and flossing their teeth regularly, but many do not realize that dental exams and cleanings are essential for maintaining good oral health. The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends you visit your dentist every six months so you can harness the following benefits.
Benefits of Dental Exams
Dental exams performed by a reputable dentist in Canton, OH, like Dr. Said, will improve your overall health by:
- Catching Problems Early: Dental exams allow Dr. Said to catch any oral health concerns in their earliest stages. This enables you to get the treatment you need before the problem worsens.
- Detecting Oral Cancer:Oral cancer is a serious disease that can be life-threatening if not caught early. During a dental exam, Dr. Said will look for any signs of oral cancer, such as lesions or sores in the mouth.
- Preventing Gum Disease:Gum disease is an oral condition that can lead to tooth loss if neglected. During a dental exam, Dr. Said will check for any signs of gum disease, such as redness, swelling, or bleeding gums.
Benefits of Dental Cleanings
In addition to giving you a healthy smile, dental cleanings can also bring you the following advantages:
- Remove Plaque and Tartar: Plaque is a sticky film of bacteria that forms on your teeth. If plaque is not removed, it can harden into tartar, which is much more difficult to remove. Dental cleanings remove plaque and tartar from your teeth, helping to keep your smile healthy.
- Protect Your Tooth Enamel: Plaque and tartar can also damage your tooth enamel, the hard outer layer of your teeth. When the enamel is damaged, it is more susceptible to decay and other oral health problems. Dental cleanings help to protect your tooth enamel and keep your smile looking its best.
- Whiten Your Teeth: Over time, your teeth can become stained by coffee, tea, tobacco, and other dark-colored foods and drinks. Dental cleanings can help to remove these stains, leaving you with a brighter, whiter smile.
What to Expect at Your First Checkup
Our dental cleaning appointments are about an hour-long, and new patient visits typically last a bit longer. We take pride in getting to know each of our patients, tailoring treatments to the health needs and goals of every individual. Here’s what to expect the first time you come to our office:
- Dental History—A hygienist will gather dental and medical histories so that we have a clear picture of your current health, including any medical conditions that can impact dental treatment.
- Digital X-rays—We take digital x-rays as diagnostic material for your comprehensive oral exam. If you have had x-rays taken within the last 12 months, please have them sent to our office. If you are unable to have x-rays taken, please inform the hygienist as you give your medical history.
- Oral Screening and Teeth Exams—After we perform an oral cancer/lesion screening for symptoms of cancer and other illnesses, such as heart disease, cancer, and diabetes, we examine your teeth for decay.
- Gum Evaluation and Teeth Cleanings—Our hygienist will evaluate your gums, measuring periodontal pockets with a probe, and clean your teeth by identifying and removing areas of tartar, plaque, and calculus.
- Oral Hygiene Habits—We end your visit by reviewing and reinforcing proper oral hygiene.
Proper Oral Hygiene: How to Prevent Tooth Decay
There are several simple and affordable ways in which you can fight tooth decay—a common chronic health condition.
- Brush twice and floss once daily.
- Have dental cleanings and checkups twice a year.
- Eat fewer sugary and acidic foods.
- Take fluoride tablets, which make teeth more resistant to decay.
- Ask your dentist about additional cleaning supplements.
Our Teeth Cleaning Procedure
When you come in for a cleaning, your dental hygienist identifies and removes plaque—a soft film that can be removed by brushing—and tartar—a hardened plaque that requires dental instruments. We make every effort to clean all surfaces of your teeth, including the tiny spaces between your teeth and along gum lines where bacteria gather.
We often complete the cleaning with prophy paste. Its coarse quality removes any remaining plaque as it dissolves into a finer texture and leaves the teeth shiny and smooth. We inform you of areas where plaque and tartar build up, so you can give those places extra attention by flossing and brushing each day. Our goal is to enable you to easily and effectively care for your teeth.
Why Choose Said Dental for Dental Cleanings in Canton, OH?
Dr. Said is a highly skilled and experienced dentist dedicated to providing his patients with the best care in Canton, Ohio. He takes the time to get to know each patient to understand their needs better. He also offers a wide range of dental services, from preventive care to restorative and cosmetic dentistry.
In addition to Dr. Said’s expertise, the top reasons to choose Said Dental for your dental exams and cleanings in Canton, OH:
- Convenient Location: Our office is conveniently located in the Belden Village area of Canton, making it easy for you to get the dental care you need.
- Flexible Scheduling: We offer convenient scheduling so you can get the care you need when it is most convenient for you.
- Compassionate Care: Some patients may feel anxious about going to the dentist. Our team is passionate about providing compassionate care to put our patients at ease.
- Quality Care: We use the latest technology and techniques to provide our patients with the best oral care.
We invite you to contact our office today to schedule a dental exam or cleaning. We look forward to meeting you and helping you achieve optimal oral health!
Schedule an Appointment Today!
Did you know that taking care of your teeth and gums isn’t just crucial for oral hygiene? It’s also necessary for maintaining overall health! Most people only need to go in for a dental exam and cleaning every six months, but depending on the state of your oral health, you may need to visit more frequently.
If you are due for a dental exam or cleaning or have other oral health concerns, we invite you to contact our office today. We look forward to meeting you and helping you achieve optimal oral health!
Dental Cleaning and Dental Exam FAQ
Are there different kinds of dental cleanings?
No. Prophylaxis—a fancy word for teeth cleaning—is the only dental procedure of its kind. Prophylaxis involves a routine teeth cleaning every six months.
The procedures that are sometimes called “cleanings” are actually periodontal treatments:
- Full Mouth Debridement—a pre-cleaning for those with severe calculus build up.
- Scaling and Root Planing—a deep cleaning for those with early stages of gum disease.
- Perio Maintenance—a periodontal cleaning for those with a history of gum disease.
Why is it important to have consistent teeth cleanings and checkups?
Routine checkups are an essential part of proper oral hygiene. Some of the benefits of regular teeth cleanings include:
- Healthier bones and gums.
- Longer lasting teeth.
- Early detection and treatment of cancer and other oral health conditions.
- Beautiful, healthy smiles.
What happens when we miss teeth cleanings?
Failure to keep up on proper oral hygiene can lead to:
- An impaired ability to eat and digest foods, leading to nutritional and systemic problems.
- Bad breath, resulting from advancing periodontal disease and/or rotting food particles.
- Negative effects on cardiovascular well-being and overall health.
- Gum infection and gangrene.
What is the cost of teeth cleaning?
Most dental insurance policies include benefits that cover teeth cleanings. After all, not maintaining good oral hygiene will most likely lead to astronomical costs down the road, as failure to keep up with teeth cleanings often leads to serious and expensive health problems. Every patient’s budgetary situation is different, so we are happy to discuss yours with you. At a consultation, we present any possible costs up front to help you navigate your insurance benefits. Our main objective is to help you have a successful oral health experience.